Ford launched the Mk3 Escort range in 1980 and with it a new performance car, the XR3, designed as a more comfortable fast Ford that would also capture the spirit, and market, of the previous RS cars. The example modelled was built in Saarlouis, Germany, and UK registered on January 19th 1981 by Ford dealer Days of Lowestoft for Mr P.L. Birman of Great Yarmouth. The second owner, Mr A.R. White, bought it from the same dealer in April 1983 and it then went to the Lowestoft-based Durrant family who acquired it in December 1988 and kept it until April 2009 when current owner, Carlisle-based Martin Stothart, bought it and a trailer for £1000.