Morris Motors was founded in Cowley, Oxford, in 1913 when bicycle manufacturer William Morris launched his first car, the Oxford 'Bullnose'. In order to celebrate their Diamond Jubilee, Morris produced a special edition Marina 1.8 TC 4-door costing £1,500, which was £362 more than a standard TC. One was supplied to every BL dealer in the UK for the M registration of 1st August 1973. All were in a new colour, 'Citron' and featured a black vinyl-roof, black door-mirrors, dual-layer black pinstripe, navy blue cloth seats, Sundym glass, front fog lights, citron-trimmed grille, side repeaters, and 'Jubilee' wing badges. The Marina Owners Club believes only 5 roadworthy examples of the 2000 produced remain.
The 'Jubilee' modelled is owned by Sussex-based enthusiast Paul Viney who restored it over a 3 year period ending in 2010. He was inspired to do this because, when he was a child his Uncle, Keith Best, had bought a new Marina Jubilee in 1973 and Paul had loved it. He was subsequently given his Uncle's car as a surprise present on his 16th birthday and, after some work, put it on the road on his 17th. He passed his test 4 months later and, sadly, wrote it off after only 11 days. Twenty years later Paul decided to find and restore a Marina Jubilee and his immaculate current car, which has the Leyland Special Tuning steering wheel off the original, is the result.
Engine: 1798cc 4IL OHV
Maximum speed: 100mph
Produced: 659,852 (all Marina cars)